Monday, August 18, 2008

When your sausages explode...

Euphimise if you want to but may I just say ouch.

This past Saturday, August the 16th, was our annual family party(reunion of sorts). We always have a blast when we all get together and we finally smartened up a few years ago and decided to make it potluck.

This year I decided to take care of the bbq since I was able to get a good deal on spicy Italian sausage through our meat supplier at work. oh they are good sausage. Even if some of them did explode while on the bbq. How did this happen? No freaking idea.

All I know is I had the bbq on low as this is how I always do them, and just let them go for as long as they need to. I put them all on and closed the lid, and not even a minute later, BOOM!!!!.

I put down my margharita and run the five steps to the bbq. I grab the tongs and lift the lid. BOOM!!!!!!! Another one explodes. Let me just tell you that I am glad I was wearing my glasses and nto my contacts as sausage meat flying at you at top speed can be dangerous. I have the welt on my neck to prove it. Yes I did say welt. It hurt!

Thankfully only three sausage in total exploded, and no one was seriously injured.

I can hear the news headings now... "Sausage explodes in mans face". OY!

2 comments:

SoapDoc said...

I am SO HAPPY you didn't get burned! That crap HURTS!!!! And if I may offer you a suggestion, if you prick holes in them before you begin cooking them, it will prevent the exploding.

It's the grease (fat) melting and expanding as it heats that causes them to do that -- but if you give the stuff somewhere to GO -- it alleviates that problem! You DO (if you're grilling) have to be a bit more concerned with flare-ups - but WELL worth it IMHO.

mehitabel said...

Whew, you were lucky! I usually poke holes in the sausage casing before putting them on the BBQ or griddle or George Foreman, just because of that. Still, so yummy!