Monday, July 14, 2008

A long road ahead...

Well here in Stratford Ontario it is about 5:30am and I have to say I am almost 10 hours into a 36 hour shift.

Why so long? Well it is becuase I am not only covering vacation time but also have a handful of meeting throughout the day. So what better way to end my work week then with an even longer than normal shift?

As I am writing this I am hunkered down in the room that I snagged from our selling inventory ( I work at one of the hotels in town), for a breif rest before meeting number one.

I brought the year long socks with me to work on and attempt yet another heel. Here is hoping it works out this time.

Why am I calling these socks the year long socks? Well it is Because I started them about a year ago. I am not new to knitting but new to sock knitting as it has always been something that I have been intrigued with. What other knitting project can one take with them virtually everywhere and not be bogged down by multiple parts?

I am going to do an interjection here. I apologize for lack of pictures right now but they will be coming hopefully soon. I lost my USB transfer cable for my digital camera a few weeks ago (probably misplaced in a bout of cleaning) and am waiting for a replacement to be delivered from the manufacturer.

Back to the socks.

I purchases Austermann Step in the green colorway and the appropriate sized dpns and searched for an easy pattern to do. I love the thought of doing socks from the cuff down but being an extremely tight cast on knitting I find it difficult. I know I know. Go up a size or two. Still I am too tight for that. Toe up was the way I was going to go. I researched and practiced different cast on methods and fell in extreme like with the provisional cast on method. I then set about looking for that pattern. That one solitary pattern that is easy to follow and memorize.

(Insert trumpet flair here)

Knitty to the rescue!. The site that I have been perusing over the last few years, printing off the occassional pattern here and there, had shown me the light! Widdershins it would be.

You see I have very narrow feet. For a man it is somewhat hard to find sock patterns that don't require a large amount of cast on stitches. This pattern, this pattern though has become my basic sock pattern for me. A 54 stitch circumference fits my foot perfectly! It is not too tight nor too loose, just right. I know I went into a Goldilocks moment, my apologies.

Needless to say I have never been able to progress further in this last year than the heel.

With my first shipment of my first ever sock club membership on its way in the next few weeks I am more determined than ever to get the heel done on my first sock and then finish the second to complete my first ever pair of self knitted socks.

I promise you all that as soon as the cable comes for my camera I will get the pictures starting on here and get a better one of myself put up as well. (Hater of self pictures that I am I will at least treat you all to a better one)

-D

No comments: